Education Program

-A A +A

Education Program Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How many credits would I need to graduate as an Education major at RCBC?
A:  The AA.EDU degree at RCBC will require a minimum of 64 credit hours to be eligible for graduation.  The AS.EDU degree will require a minimum of 66 credit hours to be eligible for graduation.  Both degree programs will require learners to enroll in a combination of general education courses, designated program courses, field work, and electives.

Q:  What test/courses must I take prior to teaching?
A:  To become a certified teacher in the state of NJ, a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required.  Throughout your first four years of college, prospective teachers will need to take the appropriate amount of undergraduate work that consists of your general education requirements, designated program courses, electives, field work experience, and subject area courses.  After the completion of the first two years (approximately 60 credits earned), prospective teachers will be required to successfully pass the Praxis I exam.  The Praxis I exam will prove competency levels in basic skills (reading, writing, and mathematics).  After graduating from the four year college or university, prospective teachers will be required to successfully pass the Praxis II exam.  The Praxis II exam will prove competency levels in specific content knowledge areas depending on your chosen area of study (English, Mathematics, Science, Art, Communication etc.).  Through the completion of the required course work, field work experience, and Praxis I and II exams prospective teachers will earn their teaching certificate, which will enable them to enter the field of education.

Q:  Do I major in Education or a specific subject area to become a teacher in NJ?
A:  In the past, learners who had the goal of becoming a teacher would simply major in Education for the grade levels that they would like to teach (elementary, middle, or high school).  However, only enrolling as an Education major is no longer an option.  Recently, licensing requirements in the state of New Jersey have changed.  In order to earn an Education degree, prospective teachers must now enroll in a subject area education program as well as a general education program.  In essence, prospective teachers will be acquiring two consecutive degrees; a bachelor’s degree in education and a bachelor’s degree in the subject area of choice.  Through this change in state licensing, graduates will now leave the four year college or university qualified to teach their chosen subject area at any level (k-12).

Q:  Are background checks required prior to me teaching?
A:  Yes, all educators in the state of NJ will need to be fingerprinted and participate in a formal background check.  Background checks are conducted through The Criminal History Review Unit (CHRU) division of the New Jersey State Police (NJSP).  In addition, substitute teachers, paraprofessionals, and all other school staff will be required to be fingerprinted and have a background check conducted by the CHRU division of the NJSP.  The CHRU phone number for further information is (609) 292-0507

Q:  How can an individual be accepted to the education program at RCBC?
A:  Rowan College at Burlington County (RCBC) has an open enrollment policy for college admission as well as for all areas of chosen study.  Simply, log onto the RCBC webpage at  to apply and declare your major as either an AA.EDU or AS.EDU student.  Please Note: When you apply with the online application, the $20.00 application fee is waived.  Transfer schools will not work on an open enrollment basis.  We advise students at RCBCto hold a minimum of a 2.75 or higher grade point average (GPA) throughout the program to help assist with ease of transfer.  The minimum requirement to be awarded a Standard Certificate to teach in NJ is a 2.75 GPA, a Bachelors degree, and successful completion of required course work and certification exams.

Q:  Is there someone on the RCBC campus who can help me with the transfer process.
A:  Yes!  Here at RCBC we are committed to helping make the transfer process as smooth as possible.  All learners who have the desire to transfer to a four year institution are encouraged to visit our transfer center on the Mt. Laurel campus. Our RCBC transfer advising staff will work individually with current students to help them obtain information about various schools, majors, and transfer protocol.  Together with the transfer advising staff, students will work to develop an appropriate academic plan for graduation from RCBC and subsequent transfer to the four year institution.  You can read more about the transfer center at or email or call the transfer center to make an appointment at  (856) 222-9311, ext. 2737. 

Q:  Does RCBC have an Education club that I can join?
A:  Yes, RCBC has an active Education club.  Currently, the Education club meets once a week during the Fall and Spring terms. Club members partake in activities such as Read Across America, host guest speakers who speak on “hot topics” in education, and participate in community service events.  For more information on the Education club please contact Erica Osmond at