All students should receive the maximum opportunity and flexibility in awarding college credit for previous academic work completed, and related academic and non-academic experience. Advance standing credit may be obtained in three ways:

  1. Transfer credit awarded for course work completed at recognized institutions of higher learning.
  2. Course credit/waiver for veterans' experience and training.
  3. Credit by examination.
College Transfers

The evaluation process begins after a student sends an official transcript from another accredited College or University. The exact number of credits that will transfer may vary depending on your program; however, RCBC recognizes most equivalent course work from accredited colleges and universities. In general, for any class to be eligible for transfer the course must meet the following conditions:

1. All courses, regardless of mode of delivery, are evaluated based on equivalency to RCBC courses. Courses that do not directly equate to a RCBC course are awarded as elective credit within the subject of the course (i.e. ART 990, PHI 990, etc.).

2. The College operates under the semester system. If a student seeks transfer credit for work completed under the "quarter" system, they are converted to semester credits based on the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers best practices for awarding transfer credit.

3. A transfer course worth  more credits than the equivalent RCBC course is awarded as the RCBC course AND elective credit. If the transfer course is a lower number of credits, it will be awarded as elective credit.

4. All transfer courses must have a grade of “C” or better, unless a higher grade is required for a selective admissions program as published by the college catalog.

5. Course information and content is reviewed and verified prior to adding transfer credit to a student’s record.

6. The Dean’s Office in each academic division has final approval of transfer credit.

7. Courses taken in mathematics, the sciences, and computer science are subject to review after five years and all other courses are subject to review after ten years.

8. Transfer credit will be reflected on the student’s RCBC official transcript by course title, credit hours awarded, and a “TR” code to indicate transfer. No grades are recorded for transfer courses and they will not affect the calculation of the RCBC grade point average. However, the total credit hours achieved will apply toward fulfilling the graduation requirement.

9. Rowan College at Burlington County participates in NJ Transfer and accepts all course equivalencies listed on the NJ Transfer website.

Test Transfers

Rowan College at Burlington County grants credit for acceptable scores from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the College Board Advanced Placement (AP and IB) exams and Credit by Department examination. Scores for CLEP and AP must also be official and are evaluated for advanced standing. The academic divisions set the minimum score levels for individual tests for both CLEP and AP.

For more information about transcripts and CLEP/AP Course Equivalency, click here.

Students may contact the Liberal Arts Division or the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Division regarding Credit by Department examinations.

Military Transfers

Transfer credit may be awarded for military service and training by submitting the following, or other official military record documenting completion of military coursework:

Evaluation of military credit is based upon the recommendations found in the American Council on Education's "Guidebook to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services."

International Transfers

Rowan College at Burlington County requires all foreign transcripts to be translated into English via a formal evaluation to an agency approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). 

A student in need of this service should find and select a member approved by NACES to perform their foreign credential evaluation by visiting:

To have credits transfer, students must submit an official transcript from all previously attended institutions of higher education. Students who have attended international universities must have their transcripts evaluated (course-by-course) by any current member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) prior to submitting an official transcript.

For any questions or concerns, students need to contact NACES directly at or

The Office of the Registrar processes transfer evaluations for certificate or degree-seeking students who have previous education comprised of college credits, military education, tests (i.e. College Level Examination Program/CLEP and AP), and prior learning assessment.

As of 2020, A student may transfer a maximum of 45 credits toward a Rowan College at Burlington County associate degree program. Students with majors declared before 2020 may be eligible to transfer up to 49 credits. A minimum of 15 credits must be successfully completed at RCBC toward one associate degree program and the student must earn 15 additional credits for each associate degree program the student pursues.

Applicants to selective admissions programs (e.g. Nursing, Radiography, Paramedic, etc.) must consult respective departments for specific policies about transferring college courses into each discipline.

After the Office of the Registrar has determined the acceptability and appropriateness of the credits to the student’s program, the transfer credit will be applied to the student’s academic record. Students may view their academic record in Self-Service using Transfer Summary.

Direct all questions regarding transfer decisions to the Office of the Registrar.

The Office of the Registrar
Rowan College at Burlington County
900 College Circle
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
Phone: (856) 222-9311, ext. 1560
Fax: (609) 726-0401